May 5th, 2009 | 68 Comments

Killing Time? Stay Productive!

Time is something that constantly drifts away. Most people just need to be on the go and they cannot afford a drop in their productivity level.

Here are some tips to utilize your time and put your best into everything you. Basically, it is like adding hours to your day.

Maintain a things to do list – You can plan your day the previous night, so when you wake up you know exactly what you have to do.

Wake up early – Sometimes, if you are all alone early in the morning you just feel like taking off.

Never multitask – Research has proved that multitasking is not at all productive. For best productivity results, focus on one thing at a time.

Calculate your personal efficiency ratio – Efficiency Ratio = (Time Doing “Real Hard Work”) / (Time Spent Totally). This will show you really how much you are working. So you may buck up if this number is low.

Use a nice bright desktop wallpaper – This is the first thing you may see before starting your work, it will give you a boost.

Learn to say “No” – We can’t do everything and therefore we must learn when to say a ”no” in order to save not drain ourselves.

Create a sense of urgency – Life is short. Once you are finished with your task, start something else. Always make sure to cultivate the desire to make things happen.

Avoid being idle for long – Eliminate the negativity and the idleness in your routine. Idleness definitely hinders progress and personal growth.

Get rid of time consumers – This includes Instant Messenger, video games, YouTube, Flickr, checking your stats a billion times a day, television, and unnecessary Internet surfing.

Maintain your focus and take action – It is better to spend your energy getting things done instead of complaining and making a fuss. Take action! Actions produce results and also .  The more you think of how you can yield better results, the more remarkable answers will come to your mind.

Use JDarkRoom – This application allows you to write more efficiently by removing all possible computer related distractions. You’re given an entirely blank page on which to type. This way, you’re not distracted by e-mail’s, or IM’s. When you’re done, you can save your work as a text file.

Just do it – Sometimes, starting is the hardest part and it always the most important. Once you get going, you will quickly get into the groove and  that momentum could last for hours.

Organize your workspace – The piles of unwanted paper around your desk can be a huge barrier on your productivity. It may just spoil your mood. Optimize your time by organizing your setting things up and dumping the junk.

Make sure you get some good sleep – Sometimes your body just cannot perform without the good much-needed sleep. Do not stress yourself too much.

Leave your workspace for a while – Go out for a short walk, have some coffee or just do some small exercise. This can do wonders, but remember do not prolong this as it can break your momentum.

I would like to thank Gaya Kesseler for helping me out with the title.

Liked reading this post? Have any other tips? What works best for you? Feel free to comment and share your thoughts below.

Tags: , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 at 11:29 am and is filed under Life. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

68 Responses to “Killing Time? Stay Productive!”

1. Gaya says:

Great post Farrhad 😀

I’d like to add this: use 2 monitors :). Saves a lot of time and frustration 😀

Also: my name is Kessler 😉 Thanks for the mention :)

Gaya’s last blog post..Now in The Woods: Simulate Gravity with jQuery

2. Enk. says:

Wow, that was a nice list. I can’t point out any one and that that was good or true. All very really perfect, very well written. :)

Enk.’s last blog post..Free Premium Hosting And Domain Giveaway Contest

3. Yeah,I agree with that time constantly drifts away. Productivity is important and those tips are really useful and valuable thanks for sharing that.I really like this one-Make sure you get some good sleep,stress never helps besides good sleep is really important to have a nice day.^_^

4. priscus says:

Productivity is the key factor in any buisness and the fact we are in recession there is no way out .. people have to be productive. Nice tips.

5. Awesome post Farrhad 😀

Hmm, I can’t help thinking that waking up early isn’t that much of a good thing though. I mean, if you’re up early, surely you’re more likely to be tired throughout the day, thus getting less done?

Still, cool post :)

Simon | Teenius’s last blog post..Tips For Monetising New Blogs

6. Rahul Jadhav says:

Nice post. Liked the tips that you have given.

Rahul Jadhav’s last blog post..Add Intense Debate To Your Blogger Blog

7. game-girl says:

I use many of this points and see they are useful in practice.

game-girl’s last blog post..Призраки в Коннектикуте скачать фильм онлайн

8. Jason says:

What’s more important is maintaining your focus. If you let yourself give in to time consuming stuff, you really cant stay productive.

Jason’s last blog post..Myrtle Beach Short Sales

9. Learning to be more productive is important in pretty much anything you do online. I really liked how you included using a better wallpaper. I know there are days when changing my desktop background really helps me to think clearly. I also generally send all of the files on my desktop to the trash bin, and simply restore them if I need to continue working. Once I’m done with a project, I empty the bin.

Organization is extremely important for me, and I’ll often clean my room before working. Very nice tips you’ve included here. You’ve made some fine points!

10. I agree. I had the same situation happen to me. I worked for a major fired chicken corporation. They worked me six days at 12 hours a day. Truly, the seventh day was work too, i never saw my family, this job almost caused a major split in my family and i would have lost everything that meant dearly to me, everything exept this job.

11. davidc says:

I get easily distracted :(

davidc’s last blog post..Home Insurance: Coverage Options

12. game-girl says:

Recently I experienced that multitasking was not so effective and understand now that a list of tasks will help to solve the problems in the order of their coming.

game-girl’s last blog post..Призраки в Коннектикуте скачать фильм онлайн

13. Forget about writing. Do something you enjoy and when the ideas start coming back, get back to work.

14. gas card says:

This is a post that everyone should read! Its important to stay productive at all times, sometimes this is hard to do, especially when you are not too terribly interested in the work you are doing, that is when procrastination sinks in. I have never heard of JD dark room! Good site.

15. CashBack says:

These look like very good tips Farrhad. I will have to go over this list again and see how I can use some of these tips to improve my own routine. I’m not sure if I can drop multi-tasking though. There are a lot of tasks that need to be done throughout the day but cannot have a whole lot of exclusive attention.

16. dhen says:

A really nice post to read. This would certainly help me utilize my time and put my very best into everything I do in life as a wife and as a full-time mother.

17. Bekleidung says:

nice post its better to do something else then blogging all the time,
    spending time with friends and family make you keep connected with the real world too,
    i even like to play some games like age of empires in the free time its a good way too kill time specially when net is down or something like that

18. Keegan says:

This is one of the best list I’ve seen. I printed it out so I could look at it everyday. Thank you

19. Susan jones says:

Thanks for your tips, i know will be useful.
    I like to stay productive in activity all day.

20. Time is very important constant thing.We can never turn back time so better to have quality time by doing relevant things.
    Thank you for sharing tips that surely helps to stay productive.

21. YingHang says:

Everyone of us should really work hard to be productive and to maximize great results
    YingHang´s last blog ..What Really Drive Sales? My ComLuv Profile

22. check my ip says:

Very useful post, thanks for sharing that. Early rising made me more productive, I fixed up all appointments on time now.

23. Very nice and informative post thanks for remind this. Its very necessary to stay productive. Your tips are very useful for this.

24. I am very much concern with you that Its well written post with very useful tips.

25. Every one knows time is money, time is precious but dont know how to utilize you have explain it in very cool steps.

26. Great post. I can’t stress enough the importance of organization and to-do lists! They are great tools to get things done (hence the name, “to-do list”).

27. I find it’s handy to keep a list of tasks handy. I divide the tasks by the amount of work required. So when I’m the most fresh, say, around 10am, I take on one of the tougher tasks. When it’s evening and perhaps I’m enjoying a glass of wine, I’m not as focused and I will do something that doesn’t require the same mental intensity.
    Remote Office´s last blog ..Remote Office My ComLuv Profile

28. Seo83 says:

Really such a nice post. Its always essential to stay productive. Because only a productive person can survive in today’s era..
    Seo83´s last blog ..seo83: RT @JonathanVolk Happy 4th Of July! – Make Money Online http://bit.ly/11opET My ComLuv Profile

Here is what works for me… I find that whenever I “start” something, I am able to keep on going, and keep at it! If I just start… and I gain momentum and I am able to stay productive, the hardest part is just starting though. It’s like trying to roll a car, the initial push is hard, but once it starts rolling it gets alot easier and you pick up momentum.

Till then,

30. Seo News says:

Time can’t constant it’s like a air and we need to utilize our time
    Seo News´s last blog ..Building a Search Marketing Consulting Business My ComLuv Profile

31. bims says:

32. game-girl says:

The situation is rather extreme and everybody comes through it,I think It is given to prove personality by hardship.If he reveals best features of his character the hard situation develops into a better one
    game-girl´s last blog ..В фильме Бюро снимутся Мэтт Дэймон и Эмили Блант My ComLuv Profile

33. videostar says:

Such things happen everyday.But the life is your attitude to them not they themselves.
    videostar´s last blog ..9 My ComLuv Profile

34. Productivity is important and those tips are really useful and valuable thanks for sharing that.I really like this one-Make sure you get some good sleep,stress never helps besides good

35. Productivity is important and those tips are really useful and valuable thanks for sharing that.I really like this one-Make sure you get some good sleep,stress never helps besides good sleep is really important to have a nice day.

36. I agree with the learn to say NO point. Its true that sometimes we dont say no even when we want to say, just because the other person is our friend and it only increases our burden

37. If you’re up early, surely you’re more likely to be tired throughout the day, thus getting less done?

38. Time is really precious and the most thing about time to consider is how we utilize it. Here some are really good tips to keep remember for being productive. Productivity will definitely come if you follow these tips.

39. videostar says:

I read the points again and realized that my weak point is disability to say no when it is necessary.I have great list to do but often distracted.I must work in that direction.
    videostar´s last blog ..Любовники My ComLuv Profile

40. Good tips for proper time management and reducing the waste of time. But you must also relax for being healthy.

41. gautam hans says:

I have many pronlems with addiction to stats and TV. would do something to curb these things. Nice post :)
    gautam hans´s last blog ..350+ Fresh Twitter Icons My ComLuv Profile

42. game-girl says:

No doubt television is the biggest time consumer,it is very hard to get rid of it .But as the experience shows it is quite necessary.
    game-girl´s last blog ..Правдивая ложь 2 – правда или ложь? My ComLuv Profile

43. game-girl says:

game-girl´s last blog ..Правдивая ложь 2 – правда или ложь? My ComLuv Profile

44. Term Paper says:

These days people kill type at Facebook or orkut :) I remember 10 years ago, it was MIRC. People were crazy about it. Now, people are crazy about Facebook and blogging. In the future, there would be something new trashy way to kill times.

45. Very useful post Farrah.
    I know how many times I distract myself because of multi- tasking…
    One thing which I find to be more productive is ..keep your work area dark..
    Lol that’s how geek work…
    But On a serious note..
    from last one month I started working in the dark room and this helped me a lot to increase my productivity…but make sure..to take break in regular interval..else you might kill your self with depression….
    Blogspot to wordpress´s last blog ..Thesis Open Hook WordPress Plugin : Easily customize Thesis WordPress Theme My ComLuv Profile

46. Koncerty says:

Great tips. Thanks for sharing it. and i think that “Never multitask” is the best :)
    Koncerty´s last blog ..Sumptuastic Mysłowice – 2009-08-29 My ComLuv Profile

47. Helpful tips for productive. Multitasking is less productive and less quality, Focus on one thing at a time is really good thing.

48. I am a part time blogger coz i am in full time job elsewhere, I know how important it is to be productive for a person like me whos every second is precious.

-Shanker Bakshi
    Make Money Online Blogging´s last blog ..What Is Affiliate Marketing And How People Make Money From it? My ComLuv Profile

49. Bidet says:

these are really useful tips, sometimes its real hard to stay productive when there are so many distractions. But being productive will help you get far with your ideas and projects.